From the start we asked ourselves : Are we contributing to higher performance. Do we innovate. How can we have lower impact on the environment and how can we really cutomize products on our individual users..Eric van der Linden, founder NutrID
Factors to know when considering sport nutrition
The role of fructose
Fructose is a sugar. All carbs in the intestines are broken down to glucose and/or fructose. The two sugars are then absorbed from the intestines into the blood stream by seperated mechanism. Around 60g glucose an hour the glucose absorption is maximized. Taking more glucose will not contribute to more absorption an hour. And will increase the risk for stomach and intestines problems. The same mechanism is there for fructose. In theory we can also digest up to 60g an hour of fructose. So in the ideal situation we can digest in total 120g (60g glucose and 60g fructose) an hour. Now comes in the role of individual tolerance for fructose. There are ahtletes who can not tolerate fructose at all! A big group will digest up to 20-40g fructose an hour. And a small group can handle the 60g of fructose an hour. So NutrID offers customized products :
- We give option to produce your NutrID Benzine free of fructose (for athletes who are fructose intolerant)
- We give option to produce your NutrID Rec Train free of fructose (for athletes who are fructose intolerant)
- NutrID Kerosine ratio 2:1 > 60g of glucose + 30g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 90g every hour]
- NutrID Kerosine ratio 3:2 > 60g of glucose + 40g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 100g every hour]
- NutrID Kerosine ratio 1:1 > 60g of glucose + 60g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 120g every hour]
- NutrID KerosineRS+ ratio 1:0 > free of fructose. > 60g of carbs an hour. [Race intake : 60g every hour]
- NutrID KerosineRS+ ratio 6:1 > 60g of glucose + 10g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 70g every hour]
- NutrID KerosineRS+ ratio 3:1 > 60g of glucose + 20g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 80g every hour]
- NutrID KerosineRS+ ratio 2:1 > 60g of glucose + 30g of fructose an hour. [Race intake : 90g every hour]
The role of the stomach
After intake the first stop for any product is the stomach. The stomach analysis the concentration and when the osmotic pressure is right it will pass it towards the intestines. From there digesting starts. Higher concentrated hypertonic energy drinks have normally a higher osmotic pressure. With the NutrID Kerosine and NutrID KerosineRS+ we found a way to bring in more carbs with still fast stomach passing towards the intenstines. NutrID adds no citric acid. Most brands use this to improve expiration date and / or to improve taste.
The role of cluster dextrin
Cluster Dextrin sometimes known as Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin (HBCD), is a new advanced breed of maltodextrin. Cluster Dextrin differs from other high GI carbohydrates like Dextrose and Maltodextrin as it provides a sustained release of energy as opposed to a sudden spike in blood sugar and large insulin response. In the stomach the molecules are clustered together. Cluster dextrin has a high molecular weight, narrow weight distribution, is soluble, and has an osmotic pressure near zero. In basic terms, Cluster Dextrin passes through your stomach faster than other carbohydrate supplements, making it more readily available for your body to burn as energy. After passing the stomach it falls apart in the loose molecules.
Cluster Dextrin has a number of unique properties that will enhance your current racing. First and foremost it is a source of energy which is, of course, essential during long distance racing. Having access to more energy allows us to race longer and harder. Cluster Dextrin has a low osmotic pressure means it passes through your stomach faster, preventing that bloated feeling. Similarly, Cluster Dextrin boosts race performance. It’s high-solubility and fast gastric emptying time means your body will be able to maintain high blood sugar levels.
NutrID is also an innovator on product packaging. We have the option to deliver your personalised sport nutrition in ecologically responsible fully compostable paper bags. We also give you option to choose for a scoop. After some orders it is a waste to order new scoops or buying plastic containers. Our packing boxes are made of recycled paper and are free of plastic taping. NutrID uses fully compostable recycled paper tape without environmentally unfriendly glue.